Master of Social Work (MSW)
The main academic programme offered at CSRD ISWR is University of Pune recognized full time course namely, Master of Social Work (MSW). It is a two years full time post graduate degree programme. The total intake for MSWPuneUniversity course is 120 students (60 in granted division and 60 in non-grant division). It is offered in three specializations viz. Urban & Rural Community Development (URCD), Human Resource Management (HRM), Family & Child Welfare (FCW). Any of these specialization is offered when 10 or more students opt for that specialization. The programme is aided by the Directorate of Social Welfare, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. It aims to build commitment and competency in facilitating participatory change and transformation in society at the level of individuals, groups and communities; in government and non-government organisations (NGOs); and in law and policy. The Master degree programme equips trainees to work as agents of change from grassroots to policy levels. The career opportunities are available in various fields and places like hospitals, schools, industries, govt departments, etc.
Social Work graduates from CSRD-ISWR are valued in the voluntary and inter-governmental organisations and the government departments. They work with a range of small and large NGOs and networks, bilateral organisations, social movements and campaigns, national and international development organizations, social research institutions, and in select sectors of the administration in the areas of rural development. The specialization in urban and rural community development equips social work graduates to work as Community Organizers, Supervisors and Project Officers in organizations working with the underprivileged groups in rural and urban areas. Another specialization, human resource Management is concerned with the human resources and dynamic situations in industry. It is an essential qualification for the post of Labour Welfare Officers under the Factories Act, 1948. The specialization equips the graduates to work as Personnel Officers and HR Executives in the Public/ Private/ Service sector. The specialisation in Family and Child Welfare offers good opportunity for the students to seek jobs in the fields of women and child development, schools, child guidance and family counselling centres.
Objective of the Course
- Understanding the practice systems in their interactions with other social systems and the socio psychological and structural factors which promote social functioning of the client system
- Gain the knowledge of the social system theories and their implications on the problem solving process.
- Gain and use the knowledge of the integrated social work practice approach and use various methods of intervention at both micro and macro levels.
- Understanding the place and importance of research in theory building and testing and its relevance to field practice.
- Gaining knowledge of Management and administrations of Welfare and Development services and voluntary organizations.
- Understanding the role and importance of social work training in preparation of a new professional cadre
- Learning & developing problem solving skills
- Improving communications skills
- Learning & developing organizational skills
- Learning & developing techniques and skills of
- Management and administrative practices
- Learning and developing research skills of problem formulation, data collection, data analysis, drawing inferences and implication for practice
- Developing training and supervision skills
- Developing skills related to social advocacy, policy and planning
- Attitude objectives are addressed to professional qualities which are developed during the training period.
- Appreciation of professional as well as voluntary social work practice.
- Appreciation of social values like human dignity, equity, democratic pluralism, people’s participation, self-reliance, honesty, integrity in public and personal life etc.
- Sensitivity to the sufferings of the marginalized and vulnerable groups such as women, children, tribals, handicapped and the aged.
- Critical self-awareness and conscious efforts to change one’s own bias and prejudices.
- Developing confidence in interpreting and executing the professional roles.
- Appreciating and respecting the other professionals in the interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Developing ethical practices in relation to professional work.
Duration of the Programme
The duration of the Master Degree Programme is two academic years. The Programme duration is divided into four Semesters.
Medium of Instruction
As per the guidelines of University of Pune, the medium of instruction for MSW Programme is English. However students are allowed to write their examination in Marathi also.