National Service Scheme (NSS)
National Service Scheme was a programme designed to involve students in extension work and inculcate in them the value of service. The institute has an NSS unit for 100 students. The NSS unit of the Institute regularly undertakes innovative activities with students.
History of NSS
CSRD is one of the pioneering institutes working in the field of extension education and rural development in India. Since the beginning, the staff of CSRD went on experimenting on relating education to development. Dr. T. Barnabas the then principal of Ahmednagar college and Dr. S.K. Hulbe the founding Director of CSRD took initiative to bring about development in the villages of Ahmednagar District with the active participation of the students keeping in mind the vision that the students along with the studies should be aware of present realities. They also should be able to relate education to field.
Hence they involved students on voluntary basis under the School community Relationship Program. So it was felt that the involvement of the students in the development process will have a lot of impacts on the community. And the development can be brought about through the efforts of the students and the staff . On the other hand this is also an opportunity for the students to contribute to the Nation building. This proposal was sent to the secretary of education. And taking into consideration the said proposal NSS came into being on 24th September 1969.
“NOT ME, BUT YOU”
The main aim of National Service Scheme is to give an extension dimension to the higher education system and orient the students to community service while they are studying in educational institutions”.
It also aims at Providing opportunities to work with the people in the villages and slums. The interaction of the students with people will expose them to ground realities and bring about changes in the society
The reason for the formulation of this aim is that students should not develop the tendency to get alienated from the village/slum masses which constitute the majority of the population of the country. On the other hand the students should become aware of the ground reality and arouse in them the social consciousness.
The students involvement has dual purpose that is ‘education’ and ‘Development’. Hence the main objective of NSS is Education through community development and community development through Education.
- Understand the community in which they work
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to the problems
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibility
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and develop democratic attitude
- Practice national integration and social harmony
- Dignity of labour
The NSS activities are divided into two parts
- Regular activities
- Special Camp
1.Enrollment of NSS volunteers:
When the admission process of the students is over the students are given the general orientation of NSS and they are encouraged to participate in NSS by filling up the NSS form.
2. Orientation of the Volunteers:
After the enrollment of NSS volunteers the orientation on NSS is given to the students. In the orientation, the volunteers are given the information of history, aim, objectives and the activities of NSS.
The second year volunteers arrange the inauguration and welcome program for the first year. The first year students become the registered members of NSS. Cultural programmes and the sharing by the second year students is an important part of the program.
4. Shram Sanskar (Culture of voluntarism):
Throughout the year the Shramdan is done by the volunteers that is on the college campus and in the adopted village. The objective is to inculcate in them the value that is dignity of labour.
5. Blood Donation Camp:
In order to enhance the sense of social Responsibility among the students every year the blood donation camp is organized on the college campus. And even the students also donate blood to the patients when there is any demand.
Rally on social issues such as female infanticide, HIV-AID, Women Day celebration, Sadbhavana day celebration, etc.are arranged by the students.
7. International Women’s Day:
On his day rally, lectures, poster competition and debate are organized on women’s issues and even street plays are performed by the students
8.Street play competition:
The street plays are organized on various issues in collaboration with District Disaster Management Cell by the students of CSRD under NSS activity to create awareness among people.
9. Pulse Polio Drive:
This is very important to bring a healthy generation in the coming future. The Pulse polio programme is organized to help the child to get a healthy future. The NSS volunteers of CSRD are placed in different polio booths in Ahmednagar to assist the health care workers.
10 Youth Week:
In this week, Quiz competition, Poster competition, Drama competition are organized by NSS unit of CSRD to provide opportunity to the students to exhibit their talents.
11.National Integration day:
We have students volunteers from various background. On this day a cultural program is organized so that the students are aware of various cultures and learn to respect the cultures of others.
12. Tree Plantation :
NSS organizes tree plantation programmes in the adopted villages and on the college campus. This is a noble effort towards the preservation of natural resources and also to bring balance in the environment
13. NSS DAY:
NSS day is celebrated on 24th September every year. On this day along with shrmadan, cultural programs and formal function are organized.
14. Special lectures
Special lectures are organised for NSS volunteers to cultivate civic sense, national spirit and patriotism.
Topics of special lectures organized
- Personality Development
- Save girl Child
- Save Electricity
- Environment Issues
- Rural Development and youth
- Atrocity Act
- Right to Information
- Importance of blood Donation
- Vivekananda and Youth
- Disaster Management
NSS Collaboration and networking
NSS has created a network of resource agencies in Ahmednagar with whom, NSS collaborate to conduct various NSS activities in the campus and the NSS adopted village for conducting special camp. The list of collaborating agencies is the following:
- District Civil Hospital, Ahmednagar
- Various colleges in Ahmednagar
- Jankalyan Blood Bank
- Grampanchyat of Dongergaon Village, Ahmednagar
- Health Department Z.P. Ahmednagar
- Nehru Yuva Kendra, Ahmednagar
Residential Camp 2017
During the year 2017 (December) the Special Residential camp was organized at Dongergaon village Tal. and Dist. Ahmednagar. The following were the activities organized by NSS Unit of CSRD during this camp.
- Rally on HIV/AIDS
- Cleanliness Drive in the village with people’s participation
- Soak pits and Kitchen Garden
- Watershed Management.
- Tree plantation program.
- Road construction and repairs
- Cultural and Sports activities
- Awareness programme on Child labour, Child Abuse, Save Girl child, Save Electricity etc.
- Sanitation programme.
Participation in National Integration Camp at New Delhi
Eleven NSS volunteers of the Institute accompanied by the NSS programme officer attended the national integration camp organised by NSS unit of the Department of Social Worik, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi on 24 December 2017 to 2 January 2018. It was a camp attended by 150 NSS volunteers from all the parts of the country which in true sense contributed the sense of national integration and patriotism among the participants.
At the Institute Level
- Organizing District Level programs/workshops/seminars on Disaster Management, Personality Development, women’s issues with the help and support of NSS department of Savitribai Phule University of Pune.
- Organizing awareness and rallies within the city in collaboration with various colleges of Ahmednagar city and other organizations
- Work shop on street plays to train the students
- Inter college street play competition
- Maintenance of wormy compost and the Nursery in the Institute campus
- Publish periodicals of NSS Activities
At the village Level
- Strengthening the library for the children
- Formalizing the Remedial classes for the children
- Legal awareness program to make the village legal literate
- Awareness regarding schemes and programs for SC’s and ST’s
- Contributing to make the village ideal village with the participation of people