Message from the Director
A very warm welcome to the Bhaskar Pandurang Hiwale Education Society’s (BPHE’s) Centre for Studies in Rural Development (CSRD)- Institute of Social Work & Research, Ahmednagar. We are very proud to carry forward the vision of our founder father Rev. Dr. Bhaskar Pandurang Hivale who brought the higher education for the rural masses. The BPHE Society Centre for Studies in Rural Development- Institute of Social Work & Research (CSRD-ISWR), Ahmednagar is one of the pioneer institutions, in community extension and social work education in India. It is the birth of National Service Scheme (NSS). CSRD was established in 1961 and 2011 was its golden jubilee year. The institute is recognized by UGC under section 2(f) and 12(b) of the UGC Act, 1956 and affiliated to Pune University. The institute is aided by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of Maharashtra.
Through its various academic programmes this Institute seeks to meet the ever growing demand for preparing responsible citizenship, effective leadership efficient and well-informed personnel to shoulder the responsibilities in the various fields of development. Since 1961 CSRD has become a symbol of India’s desire to involve the academic community in rural development through Study, Research and Extension programmes. The students passed out from CSRD are great professional and effective leaders in various fields across the globe. They are working in Governmental and Non-Governmental organization in India and abroad holding important positions and responsibilities in different sectors.
You have chosen right time to go for social work education. The changes in the society are swifter than ever before. In the age of globalization, liberalization and privatization, the technological revolution and their impact on human life poses number of challenges before humanity. This demands a new generation of leaders and professionals who have the drive, the commitment and passion to respond to the contemporary challenges. CSRD-ISWR believes in creating a cadre of efficient and well informed leadership in the field of social development.
The social work education at CSRD-ISWR is rigorous. The academic curriculum offered by University of Pune, interaction with field practitioners, field work placement with communities and welfare/development agencies provides an excellent learning environment. The students studying at CSRD-ISWR has a privilege to be a part of pioneering institute in extension education and one of the premier universities in the world – the University of Pune. CSRD-ISWR offers a variety of opportunities with its unique cultural, social, educational as well as recreational experiences. Active interaction with faculty and student communities of diverse disciplines, background and ideologies, provide very enriching experience.
The Centre for studies in Rural Development – Institute of Social Work and Research, Ahmednagar has a number of assets and resources that facilitates teaching learning process of students. The institute has following resources:
- Talented and highly motivated students from diverse backgrounds and geographic locales representing various states of India;
- Experienced and qualified faculty, deeply committed to high quality of classroom teaching, field instruction, extension work and research activities;
- Comprehensive curriculum designed by University of Pune to provide a broad, solid foundation of social work knowledge and skills, as well as in-depth advanced knowledge and skill development in specialized areas of social work practice;
- Commitment to serving the Rural and Urban community of India through research, training, and extension activities;
- Interdisciplinary focus through exchange programs, study tours, special lectures, and multi-cultural activities;
- Exchange and interaction with alumni and other human services practitioners;
- Excellent physical facilities, including classrooms, computer lab, auditorium, recreation hall and cafeteria;
- Distinguished alumni working in a range of settings throughout India and abroad.
- Network with voluntary agencies, Government organizations, activists and Social action groups.
All of us associated with the Centre for studies in Rural Development – Institute of Social Work and Research, Ahmednagar are proud of our tradition and our contributions to the nation and to our profession. We hope the information contained here will answer many of your questions.
Dr. Suresh Pathare